Location: Upper Cape Library
Date/Time: Friidays, May 6th to May 27th 12:30-2:30 p.m.
Make a 16” or 18" square Table Topper or Pillow Cover, all by Hand!
Four weekly sessions will introduce you to the wonderful world of quilt
Merry May has been quilting for over 30 years, and has been teaching quiltmaking for 20 years.
She was nominated twice for Professional Quilter Magazine's Teacher of the Year award (2003 & 2008). An abundance of experience has led to the professional labels: Quiltmaker, Professional Quilter; Instructor, Designer, Appraiser, Historian, Guest Curator, Commission artist, Consultant.
Please bring the following to the first class session, including all of your
• Notebook and pen or pencil for taking notes
• Pair of good scissors for cutting fabric
• Small pair of sharp embroidery scissors
• “Sharps” needles or Straw needles for hand piecing; size 10 or 11
• “Betweens” (quilting) needles; either assorted-sized pack, OR size 8 or 9
• Needle threader, if you think you will need it.
• 1” x 6” ruler, preferably clear plastic with 1/4” markings.
• Sharp straight pins
• Quilting pins (longer than regular pins, usually with balls on the end)
• Small pin cushion
• Seam ripper (just in case!)
• Sharp pencil (can be a mechanical pencil)
• Silver marking pencil (look in an art supply department!)
• Thimble to fit the middle finger on your dominant hand.
• Off-white cotton thread (NOT quilting thread!) for piecing
• Hand Quilting thread in off-white. Has a special coating and is thicker than regular sewing thread.
• Optional but recommended: “Quilter’s Complete Guide” book by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter
ALL FABRICS SHOULD BE GOOD-QUALITY, 100% COTTON; PRE-WASHED AND IRONED
• If using a single Light background fabric, you will need a “Fat Quarter” (18” x 22”) piece. If using multiple
fabrics as shown in the upper sample above, you will need 6” squares of a total of SIX different light fabrics.
• “Fat Quarter” (18” x 22”) of a Dark fabric for your Leaf, OR if using multiple fabrics, you will need 6”
squares of SEVEN Dark Green fabrics (or whatever colors you want your leaf to be!).
• One 6” square of Brown fabric for the Stem.
• Fat Quarter of fabric for your Border if you are making the Table Topper; it should be a print that will
complement your other fabrics; OR, a 1/2 yard if you are making the Pillow cover. *If you wish, you may
wait until later to choose this fabric. Sometimes it is helpful to see how the completed quilt block looks
before choosing your Border and/or Backing fabrics.
• 5/8 yard for Backing if you are making the Table Topper; OR muslin if you are making the Pillow cover.
• 20” square of a thin polyester batting; we recommend using a “traditional” weight.
• 1/4 yard for Binding ONLY if you are making the Table
• Only if you are making the Pillow Cover, you may also
bring a 16” or 18” square Pillow Form to the last class.
The larger, 18” size will fill the Pillow Cover better than
the 16” size, giving you a firmer pillow.